Futurist and technologist Daniel Burrus proposes in his book, Flash Foresight, How to See the Invisible and Do the Impossible, that an entrepreneur can identify and profit by studying today to know what will sell tomorrow.
His steps to making the future your key for success are:
1. Start with a certainty using use hard trends to see what’s coming.
2. Anticipate how events will unfold basing your strategies on what you know about the future.
3. Transform today’s ideas, methods, and tools using technology driven change to your advantage.
4. Take your biggest problem and skip it, because it’s not the real problem.
5. Go opposite on the path not traveled to look where no one else is looking to see what no one else sees and do what no one else is doing.
6. Redefine and reinvent to leverage your uniqueness in new and powerful ways.
7. Direct your future, else someone else will.
His advice could be restated as base your goals by what you see and know, create a plan using the best methods and skills, go around or redefine roadblocks, and believe in your ideas, because you are your best mentor.